A possession based graphical roguelike
This is not the latest version but the old Python prototype of the game, preserved for posterity.
MidBoss is a video game about possessing your defeated enemies in order to become stronger. You play the weakest of the dungeon denizens, an imp with no ability other than possessing other creatures. Your goal is to defeat and possess increasingly stronger creatures, unlocking their abilities for yourself and becoming stronger as you go along, and eventually defeat and become the dungeon's ultimate endboss.
The game itself is written in Python and is thus available on many platforms, including Windows, Linux and OSX. The source code is also available for modding and learning purposes.
- Possess your enemy and gain their strengths and skills
- Dynamic music system with more frenetic music to accompany action
- Line of sight and fog of war systems
- A total of 15 monsters to defeat and 10 skills to unlock
- Randomly generated dungeon floors are different every time
- 12 floors before the final boss, but goes on as long as you want after
- Single-file save and resume
- Permanent death, if you die your save is gone (save-scumming is available)
- Full options menu including key rebinding
MidBoss is free for download and open source! Current version is 0.5 beta, released on 2 February 2013. Check the forums for announcements, follow @Enichan on Twitter for real-time updates, or add my blog to your RSS feed. Windows: [ main | mirror ]
Linux/Mac/Other: [ main | mirror ] (requires Python 2.7 and Pygame)
Source: [ main | mirror ]
If you enjoy the game's music, you might like to download the OST.