The possession based graphical roguelike
MidBoss is free for download! Current version is 0.5.1 alpha(changelog), released on 15 April 2014. Worried you'll miss an update? Don't be! The game will notify you automatically when a new version is available. Not enough information for you? Then follow @Enichan on Twitter for real-time updates, or add Kitsune Games to your RSS feed. Windows: [ main | mirror ]
Linux/Mac/Other: [ coming soon ]
Source: [ coming soon ]
Requires the .NET framework to run.
If you enjoy the game's music, you might like to download the OST.
MidBoss is a video game about possessing your defeated enemies in order to become stronger. You play the weakest of the dungeon denizens, an imp with no ability other than possessing other creatures. Your goal is to defeat and possess increasingly stronger creatures, unlocking their abilities for yourself and becoming stronger as you go along, and eventually defeat and become the dungeon's ultimate endboss.
The game is currently in pre-alpha and only available on Windows, that means many features are as of yet not implemented. We have however tried our best to give you a smooth, bugless experience. In the future support for Linux and OSX will be added.
- Possess your enemy and gain their strengths and skills
- Like tooltips? We've got tooltips for everything! All the information you need at your fingertips.
- Line of sight and fog of war systems, and none of that cone of sight stuff. We assume you can look over your shoulder.
- An absolute mess of abilities. We've got your passives, your actives, and your innates! With only half the planned enemies implemented, there are already 35 unique abilities to discover and learn.
- Randomly generated dungeon floors are different every time.
- Single-file save and resume, you don't even have to click any buttons for your game to save, it's all taken care of.
- Permanent death, if you die your save is gone! An unforgiving roguelike, just the way we like it. (save-scumming is available)
- Full options menu including key rebinding, resolution options, and more! (FoV slider coming soon)
- Miss the good old days? Got some nostalgia for those eye-bleeding CGA cyans and magentas? Miss the old Gameboy days, or were you more of a C64 fan? There's 12 retro mode filters available in the options menu, and more coming in the future!
(Kitsune Games is not responsible for any loss of vision, bleeding of the eyes, or other personal injury caused by playing with the CGA mode filter active)
MidBoss currently has a wiki and a subreddit at /r/midboss. Please help support the community by editing the wiki, or come by the subreddit for discussion, news and links.
Are you a video game reviewer or do you do Let's Plays and you want to make a video of MidBoss? Check out our "do whatever you like" video license, and drop us a link to your stuff. We'd love to see what you do!
Initially MidBoss was developed over the course of three days for Ludum Dare #25, designed around the theme 'You Are the Villain'. People thought it was fun, and so afterwards it was cleaned up and developed further and released in March 2013.
The current version of MidBoss is a complete, from the ground up overhaul of the old game (hereafter referred to as MidBoss Classic) which you can still find here with new graphics, better interface, more abilities, more information, and a generally massively improved experience.